Thursday, January 15, 2009

The reality of Nature's clock

As I thumb through my UT Agriculture Extension Service pamphlets, my psyche is slammed back to earth with the maturation timetables of different fruits and berries. Here are a few:

blueberry -- 3 to 5 years
apple -- 3 to 6 years
pear -- 4 to 6 years
plum -- 4 to 5 years
cherry -- 4 to 5 years
grape -- 2 to 3 years
blackberry -- 3 years
raspberry -- 3 years

These are maturation times for the first fruits, not a full harvest.

As a person used to a deadline every 24 hours, these timetables are a little frightening. It's Mother Nature's way of saying "Slow down, Bub. If you're not in it for the long haul, don't even attempt it."

My mind's eye envisions my hills and slopes brimming with trees, trellised vines and wheelbarrow loads of fruits and berries. Reality will be far different unless I take my time and get on Mother's schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment