Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Is the drought over yet?

Deerfield received 4 inches of rain in 36 hours Monday and Tuesday. Louisville Road was closed due to high water for several hours Tuesday night. The ditches that carry the runoff to Deerfield Creek were overflowing.

I expected a lot of topsoil from the recently denuded slope to be down at the bottom, but to my surprise the erosion was minimal. When the timber cutters were cleaning up after cutting the trees, I had them cut a switch-back road to the top of the hill. I lined the road with some of the smaller logs to slow down the runoff. It looks like it worked.

The ground is so saturated it will take 10 days of clear weather and wind to dry out the earth. I'm ready to start soil preparation, but Mother Earth will be ready in her own time and not before. If patience is a lesson I must learn, the classes are starting early.

No comments:

Post a Comment