Friday, May 15, 2009

A poor man's rain barrel


Our son gave us a nice 55-gallon rain barrel for Christmas 2006. Sitting at the corner of the garage, it fills up in about 15 minutes of steady rain. It helped us survive the droughts of 2007 and 2008.

I was thinking it would be nice to have another barrel this summer, but we don't have any more downspouts that are accessible since the ones for our house run inside the porch columns. While I was putting away my 5-gallon cans which I use for various tasks, I came upon the idea of lining them up along the drip edge of the red barn at the garden.

Presto, a 50-gallon rain catchment.

2 comments:

  1. I too created a rain barrel but from a vinyl trashcan for 10 bucks.

    You can see pictures if interested

    http://gravitygarden.com/rainbucket

    ReplyDelete