Wednesday, May 13, 2009
The "living" fence
My recent post (5/7/09) about my fence made from hackberry trees raised several questions from readers. I've answered the emails individually, but will repeat the answers here:
* Posts and stringers were put together with 3-inch deck screws.
* Only "curing" I did was to paint the tops of the posts with black paint to reduce damage from rain.
* Posts are set 18 inches deep in concrete.
* Fresh cut hackberry trees were used. Believe me, we have plenty more. I noticed today that one of the posts (see photo) continues to put out green shoots even though it's been cut for at least three weeks.
* Where did I get the idea for a hackberry fence? I have no clue.