Thursday, May 7, 2009

A fence for the taking


We needed a break between the dog yard and the lily hill in the back of the house, but I didn't want to put up more cedar fencing. I found the solution in the lowly hackberry tree of which we have plenty in Deerfield.

The hackberry tree is useless for anything except firewood and now my ersatz fencing. Hackberry is never milled as lumber because of its hardness and twisted grain. Its bark is rough and gnarled which gives the fence a certain rustic look.

Putting up the fence and building the gate is like working a jigsaw puzzle, some pieces fit and some don't, but you can usually find a spot for each piece if you look hard enough.

All I need to do now if find some native vines to trellis along the fence, and remember to sharpen the chain on my saw dulled by so much hackberry cutting.

1 comment: