Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Old Three Feet is getting to be a problem

Raccoons have long been part of the night in Deerfield. Our first year here it was not unusual to see three or four of the masked bandits hanging off bird feeders when we came up the driveway after dark.

Lately, only one coon visits and it is liable to show up at any time of the day even though we may be on the porch or out in the yard. It has wrecked several bird feeders and the hummingbird feeder. I first wrote about Three Feet on my post of May 20. While it drags its right hind leg, it was able to climb a tree without any problem.

On Tuesday, however, I chased Three Feet away from the bird feeders. Instead of scurrying off it just limped slowly into the woods. I got within five feet of it and it refused to go up a tree. Instead, it just growled. Yes, raccoons can growl.

Three Feet doesn't look healthy. I'm afraid it might be diseased, so Three Feet will be leaving. My aunt has a live trap that should do the trick, and then I can take it away from Deerfield. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment