Friday, February 6, 2009

Soil test is back. Now what?

With great excitement I opened the letter containing the results of my soil test. Did we flunk or do well?

After looking at the single page of numbers and tables, my first urge was to shout "I majored in journalism, not agriculture." I saw names which I had not seen since looking at the Periodic Table in 10th-grade chemistry. I was as lost then as now.

A cup of tea calmed me down and sent me to my library. After a few hours of study, here is what I think I know about my soil:

* Soil pH is 6. My goal should be to get it to 6.5-6.8. I need to add lime.
* I'm significantly low in phosphorus and calcium. Potassium and magnesium are close, but could use a slight boost. Should be able to adjust this with proper fertilizer.
* Soil is too acidic for everything except blueberries. I need to carve out a special spot for blueberries and back down the pH to around 5.
* If I don't do better in my garden than I did in chemistry, it will be a lean harvest.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the soil is primed for blueberries! Keaton was caught eating her classmate's blueberries at lunch this week. She will be your taste tester.

    ReplyDelete