Friday, February 20, 2009

More fun with fungi


Tree fungi appear to be a new experience for some. A reader asked exactly where and how do fungi grow on trees. I went to the Internet to read more about the tree parasite. It made my head hurt with words like mycelium, hyphae, cellulose, polysaccharides and lignin.

So, I'll let you Google "tree fungi" and become just as confused as me.

To show my faithfulness to blog readers, however, I toted a ladder out deep into our woods to get a photo of a fungus in full growth. This one was about 10 feet up a locust tree. One of the legs of the ladder mired in the soft ground and I immediately tumbled to the soft earth. No worries. Photographer and camera are fine.

Fungi are fun. Take a fungus to lunch one day. You'll enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment