Sunday, February 22, 2009

Call me a rhododendron


The half-dozen or so rhododendrons surrounding our house remind me of me. When the sun is out, even in cooler temperatures, rhododendrons open up to the warmth and attend to the order of the day. When it's cold, dark and snow is on the ground, they fold their tents in retreat.

I have so many things I could be doing to get ready for the spring: repairing screen doors ravaged by Willie, changing the oil and hydraulic fluid in the tractor, sharpening the chain saw; but the only time you'll find me outdoors when the wind chill is in the teens is to gather wood for the stove.

I need to ask my doctor-son if it's true that blood grows thinner the older you get, but I would have to push down my blanket and get out of my warm chair to make the call.

So, I let it slide.

No comments:

Post a Comment