Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Two week update on fall garden

It's been a little more than two weeks since my fall garden went in the ground. Here's a quick update on the state of things:

SPINACH -- Dead. Never got established. Must have planted it when it was too hot.

ROMAINE LETTUCE
-- The best looking crop. Almost 5 inches tall.

HEAD LETTUCE -- Sprouts look good. About two inches tall.

CABBAGE -- After a shaky start, my two kinds of cabbage are looking good.

BROCCOLI
-- Almost let the bugs get it, but applied Sevin just in time.

DETROIT BEETS -- Fewer than half the seeds sprouted. Jury is still out.

ICICLE RADISH -- Have thinned the sprouts three times. Radish greens are good in a salad.

TURNIP GREENS -- As I mentioned, I sowed these much too thick. I'm just going to see what happens.

PURPLE TOP TURNIPS
-- Sowed these just 8 days ago, but sprouts look good.

BOK CHOY (CHINESE CABBAGE)
-- Velly, velly nice.

1 comment:

  1. Vince,
    I found you by accident while researching Julius Caesars'
    "All Gaul is divided in three parts". Just one of the perks of being a Latin teacher!Marie is visiting David and me in Chattanooga and she is delighted to be able to see your farm and read all about it!

    ReplyDelete