Saturday, April 11, 2009

A tale of two cherry trees


My two Early Richmond cherry trees seem to have made it through the cold snap and downpours better than any of the newly planted fruits and berries, but they have strikingly different attributes.

The tree on the left has been full of beautiful blooms. The other one is not very pleasing to look at but the trunk is stocky and healthy looking. I noticed when I planted it that the roots were big and well developed.

I planted the trees closer than was recommended at the bottom of the hill so they could feed off each other and keep each other company. Possibly each will take something from the other.

The Early Richmond is a sweet and tart cherry. My books say cherry trees bear for many years if they are taken care of. That’s my plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment