Sunday, April 5, 2009

The plot thickens

I completed the layout today for my vegetable garden. I've had to move it several times because I'm finding areas of my land that do not percolate well.

The final plot is 48 X 32 (1536 sq.ft). It will have a 6-foot high fence built on 4 X 4 treated lumber posts. Each 8-foot section will have three 1 X 6 stringers wrapped with 48-inch chicken wire. Around the top of the posts will be a wire to which I can attach aluminum pie plates if the deer seem to want to get inside.

My neighbor with the auger attachement is on call to dig the 21 post-holes, but it is still too wet for the tractor. More rain is expected tonight.

I have been trying to amend the soil with organic matter (dead leaves, grass clippings, sawdust, ashes), but I have a long way to go. I will wait until the first week in May to start planting. I should have the fence completed by then.

I have not decided exactly what to plant. Any suggestions besides the normal tomatoes, cucumbers and cabbage?

No comments:

Post a Comment