Friday, April 17, 2009

Easy as 1-2-3 and 4-5-6 and 7-8-9 and . . .


The 21 post holes for the garden fence were dug. The posts were in their holes. All I had to do was align the posts, pour the concrete and I'm done.

Well, eight hours later, I'm done.

Seemingly simple tasks get so complicated. First, the tractor auger does not dig to exact measurements. I had to fill and then dig out other holes to get them exactly 24 inches deep. Also, the auger makes a larger hole than hand digging. It takes more concrete. I ended up pouring 1,200 pounds on the 21 posts when I had planned on just 800.

Instead of using good lumber for supports while the concrete was drying, I used old 2 X 4s which were hard to work with.

What I thought would be an easy half-day job turned into an all-day marathon. But the posts are in and straight.

Now all I have to do is add the 72 1 X 6 X 8 stringers, attach 160 feet of chicken wire and build a gate. That won't take long, will it?

No comments:

Post a Comment