Monday, August 17, 2009

Strategic planning -- Fun for a change

One of my least favorite exercises when I was in the newspaper business was strategic planning. We would spend several months trying to come up with a plan to carry us through the next five years. Our management team would sit around a white board and try to predict the future with best case/worse case scenarios.

Garden strategic planning is much more fun, and I have my white board affixed to my garage wall. I dutifully note when and where I planted the different varieties of vegetables. In the photo above the plot marked in red is the fenced garden. Next spring I will plant corn, strawberries, watermelons, cantaloupes and potatoes outside of the fence. It takes a diagram like this to keep everything straight.

My fall garden so far has: spinach, bok choy (Chinese cabbage), broccoli, Romaine lettuce, Savoy cabbage, leaf lettuce, Detroit beets, icicle radishes and turnip greens.

I'm still a little concerned about the quality of the soil even though I've added hundreds of pound of organic matter. The one thing great about gardening is that you always get a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment