Thursday, October 1, 2009

Fall garden update: A complete bust

When I started Deerfield Diary on January 1, I vowed to share my failures along with any successes I might have on our homestead. We can chalk up my first fall garden as a .005 on a scale of 1 to 10.

While visions of cabbage, turnip greens, bok choy and broccoli danced in my head, reality brought me only a few handfuls of icicle radishes. I can blame insects, torrential rains and probably some rabbits for my failure, but the real culprit is my soil which does not have enough organic matter. At the first sign of dry weather, my soil starts to crack like a cheap mirror. Garden soil should crumble in your hand like cornbread. Mine flakes like an overdone biscuit.

Between now and spring, I will be hauling manure, leaves, clippings, compost, peat and maybe even some shredded newsprint into the garden. I should have known that you can't turn fallow land into a cornucopia in a single season.

I always like to include a photo with my posts, but this has none. How do you take a picture of nothing?

No comments:

Post a Comment