Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Gravity tomatoes on the cheap



Who among us has not seen the info-commercial about the upside tomato plant? Just send those fine folks $19.95 (plus shipping and handling) and you will receive a magic hanging planter to grow your upside down tomatoes.

I've got a gravity tomato and it cost me a buck, plus a tomato plant. Here's what you do:

1. Get a plastic bucket with a handle. Drill a 7/8 inch hole in the bottom of the bucket with a spade bit. (You can just use a sharp knife if you don't have a bit.)

2. Take an empty 2-liter plastic bottle and cut it into 3 inches down from the neck.

3. Insert the bottle into the hole in the bucket with the neck sticking down (see photo at left).

4. (This is the tricky part.) Carefully feed your young tomato plant through the neck of the bottle. This will take some time and patience.

5. Fill the bucket with potting soil and hang it in the sun. My tomato has been hanging for seven days. It seems to be doing fine.

You will want to use a small variety of tomato such as Rutgers. Also, remember that a plastic bucket dries out quickly. You may have to water a couple times a day in extremely hot weather. You can also try cherry tomatoes or different types of peppers.

I wish I could say I thought of this myself, but I found the idea on the Internet. The site is www.gravitygarden.com.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting. I might try that.

    I found your blog through your article in the Greater Knox Business Journal. It was interesting and educational. :)

    ReplyDelete